Monday, March 12, 2012

Death in 60 Seconds

Someone recently pointed out a question which is supposedly one of those people resist asking themselves. "What would you say if you knew you'd be dead in 60 seconds?"

The odd thing is that I don't resist asking such questions. I can't remember ever having worried about dying. When I was very young, I thought I'd be immortal. Then my eldest grand-aunt died and I learnt that people were mortal and logically that included me.

So I learnt to say 'died' instead of 'passed away', 'dead' instead of 'gone to be with the Lord', and 'dying' instead of 'being looked after at the hospital'. At this point, I must credit an unlikely source for teaching me a fundamental truth.

The eclectic F&SF author Piers Anthony pointed out that Death signifies Change. He in turn got this from many venerable traditions. I realised this was obviously true.

And so I figured out that as one of the more final changes, and more certain, one ought to be prepared for it. You might never get married nor move house, but death is inevitable.

That's why I walk around with a mental list of people who I would tell, in my last 60 seconds (if I get that much time), "I loved you. You have been significant and appreciated in my life. Don't be sad. Bye for now."

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Aegle said...

This is a question I should attempt answering when next barrel-empty of ideas. However, significant people in your life don't need to be told that they were appreciated. They'd be, well, idiots, not to already know.

More important to me is that your answer tells me what I already know about you anyway.

Monday, March 12, 2012 11:13:00 pm  
Blogger Trebuchet said...

Some of them might forget. Especially if the last appreciative moment was years and years ago. :)

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:44:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home