Thursday, February 17, 2011

Optimism

Optimism is the belief that this is the best of all possible worlds; that this is optimal among all the worlds there might be. But as many a would-be humorist has noted, it carries the seeds of pessimism, the belief that this is the lowest of all possible worlds; that this is pessisimus, or as footling as can be. For what else can one say if this is the best as well as the worst of all possible worlds? Which must be true, if this is the only world we have.

And yet, to paraphrase Galileo, still things move along. I am still alive. I feel good most days. I am happy that people can make marvellous banana soufflés one day and equally wonderful salmon sushi the next. I take great pleasure in watching Barcelona act like Arsenal, losing their way in the second half, and worse, just plain losing. I find happiness in many things.

I am convinced that if this is the worst of all possible worlds, there can't be more than one. It's like the old joke: "You're my favourite sister!" "Of course; I'm your -only- sister."

It doesn't take much faith, I'm afraid. After all, a world in the hand is worth many worlds in some strange meta-physical theory. But what faith it requires, I am quite happy to contribute. In hoc signo vinces.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home