Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Technetium

It was the first element to be synthesized. Mendeleev called it 'eka-manganese' and made confident predictions about it. Many roads led apparently towards it and then ran away again. It was not an easy find.

They called it masurium, and that is what it would have been. In early years, they would have called it pelopium, from that peculiar legendary Greek, King Pelops, the brother of Niobe and son of Tantalus. Yes, they too have their own elements. Sadly, Pelops no longer has his.

Technetium is a melancholy element, then. It is never sure of its own existence, and its most excited state, technetium-99m, is used mainly for radiology. It sees not itself, but helps others see what can't be seen.

Tomorrow I will become like technetium. Unlike what is written in the Bhagavad-Gita, I cannot say as Shiva does (and as Oppenheimer quoted him) that I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds; I can only say that I am become another bit older, a little bit more decayed. I have come to yet another prime of my life.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home