Monday, May 17, 2010

Back to Work

Obviously, a fair number of people had to take a break from whatever they were doing to say their goodbyes to the Gnome. The thing is that part of my work was writing a commemorative tribute to his life in public service.

This means, of course, that I have to cope with the aftermath of loss at closer quarters than most. But I can imagine what he would have to say about that, because he said so much about so many things...

=====

The Strategos of the Atlantean military said, "He frightened a lot of people, he was a very demanding boss, but really if you knew him well, he was a very kind man, a very caring man and he actually had the welfare of the soldiers at heart... the Thunderer would never have made a good Gnome, and the Gnome would never have made a good Thunderer."

These two very different men were distantly related. But I will always remember the story that the Strategos once told. Apparently, the Gnome, in his capacity as High Priest of War, once summoned him. A summons from the Gnome was always a fearsome thing. Quaking, our hero ascended to the Spartan (heh) office in which his boss held sway.

"Yes, lord, what may I do for you?"

"General, I want you to tell me something. If you know the answer, feel free to elaborate. Otherwise find me someone else."

"Yes, lord." It was at this point that our hero claims he felt true fear. The Gnome was never known to ask simple questions.

"What, general, is the reason that these white balls that we hit around are made with all these little dimples on them?"

The Strategos explained that it was something to do with helping them fly straight. As our hero said later, "I was pretty sure I was right, but I felt a twinge of uncertainty as he looked quizzically at me."

The Gnome then told him that it sounded like a reasonable explanation and thanked him. Another memorable moment in the history of Atlantis had occurred.

There is a sequel to this. It is said that the Gnome decided that all his general staff needed to be smarter. That is how the Strategos ended up going to Duke University to do a Master's degree in Military History.

My father was one of those tasked to prepare these military men for their higher education. It was an interesting task, teaching highly-motivated but somewhat senior officers about subversion and warfare. (He recalls that the Strategos had been bright but playful when he was a young man in the College of Wyverns. In fact, he used to copy my mother's notes; always a man of action, he didn't think he was academically bright enough, which was why he'd joined the army.)

But the Gnome would not be denied. And that is why all the senior officers of the various services now have to have Master's degrees in some relevant subject. And then, they go back to work. Just like I am doing now.

=====

I think the Gnome would have said to me, "Well, we're all human, so we do these things. But after getting such things done, quickly and with little fuss and minimal expense, let's remember that there is real work to do."

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home