Thursday, July 02, 2009

Emigration in an Age of Globalisation

Where would you go, said the Black Lily to me, if you had all the resources and qualifications to go anywhere you wanted and make a living there?

It's a good question. I know I wouldn't go to the Fragmented States, for sure. Too harsh a tax regime and too uneven a cultural environment. I love some parts of it; I am indifferent and sometimes dislike other parts. If I had all those resources, I am sure I'd be ripped off.

The Southern Cross Dominions have pretty good healthcare for senior citizens. Taking a long view, I guess it looks like a good option. They speak some sort of Anglo-Saxon tongue there too, which is about as mutually (un)intelligible to us as Atlantean Creole English is to them. The same argument, I suppose, applies to the Land of the Maple Leaf; however, that is a colder land. And you'd have the Appalling Princess as your neighbour.

I've often thought about some place in Europe. Best thing is, I'm already a citizen. Finding a place to live conveniently is not as easy as you think, though. Too much demographic insanity.

The funny thing is that I am quite happy to live out my exile in Atlantis while Atlanteans run around thinking of alternatives. A strange people, this.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger LoneRifle said...

Have you ever considered the Prime Meridian Empire? Or does the lack of good food and effective governance put you off?

Friday, July 03, 2009 2:25:00 am  
Blogger Trebuchet said...

Well, that is my birthplace and my home, so I wouldn't call it emigration.

Friday, July 03, 2009 5:23:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home