Thursday, November 13, 2008

Examinee (Part VII)

The last examinations of my life so far were in 2004. They were both rather odd examinations.

The first was on advanced research methods and fieldwork. I found myself returning to the same café every week at the same times and sitting in the same places. I sat there and observed people and what they did until I had enough data to come up with a sort of anthropological hypothesis about café culture. Then I sat around some more until I was reasonably sure I was right. After a few months, I wrote up my research and submitted it.

The second was about principalship and school management. I attended this module with a bunch of soon-to-be and hoping-to-be principals, some staff officers, and some very interesting other people. For the final submission, we were given huge amounts of data about some fictitious school and asked to come up with a plan for solving all the problems in the school within the first few months of (hypothetically) taking office as principal.

This one was a bit difficult; towards the end of the course, I was bound for New York and I would have to submit my answers by email while settling in at Columbia. It was an odd time but a good time. I decided to ignore all the theory in terms of specifics and go for the odd solution of retraining a few personnel in different and unexpected areas, and then shuffling a few of the others around.

Months passed before I got my grades. I completely forgot about the whole thing and focussed on my research into blood substitutes. It wasn't until I got back that my supervisor contacted me with mixed news. After dealing with some difficulties of the kind that ensue when you're away and cannot protect yourself, I received a pleasant surprise. Straight As, and it was time to give up the taking of examinations for the rest of my life, and focus on my thesis-writing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home