Thursday, August 07, 2008

Word of the Day: Disgruntle

Yes, this is a far cry from the usual arcana which you find in the occasional 'Word of the Day' post. After all, 'disgruntle' is such a commonplace word, isn't it?

Well, not really. I think it has been misused quite a lot by people who think of the equation 'disgruntled=unhappy'. The reason I call it a misusage is that 'unhappy' really means 'unfortunate, and aware of it'. Disgruntlement, on the other hand, is the induced tendency or state to grumble in general.

But 'disgruntle' is a verb; you can disgruntle someone. How does that work? According to various sources, you do this by putting people into a state of dissatisfaction or discontent, into a bad mood or a sulky unhappiness. Recently (well, now not so recently), I was told that to continue working at a certain place would make my colleagues disgruntled. I was also told that I was a disgruntled person.

Haha! I am sure that about the only interpretation of that word, in that context, would be that some people thought I would make people aware of their misfortune, induce dissatisfaction and/or discontent, and generally provoke a state of sulkiness.

There are three problems with that, though. 1) I'm not a disgruntled kind of person; I might have moments of unhappiness, but I am actually quite cheerful about making entertaining commentary about my situation, bad or good; 2) surely my esteemed (ex)colleagues have more willpower than to allow me, Svengali-like, to con them into feeling unfortunate or dissatisfied when they have no reason at all to be; 3) mature people cope with their unhappiness; they do this by voicing it out, and if their entirely reasonable claims are rejected, they move on.

In short, disgruntlement works best when self-induced; only a general atmosphere of misfortune, mishap and malaise (if not outright mayhem) should be able to provoke this kind of sordid introspective decline. And I am sure that such an atmosphere is hard to come by, even if you deliberately attempted to create one.

As an aside, I have to point out that 'gruntle' is not the opposite of 'disgruntle'; 'gruntle' means 'grumble', and 'disgruntle' means 'to make entirely grumbly'. These are very amusing words, you must agree; their onomatopoeic qualities shine.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger * the mad monk of melk * said...

You know, this actually made me laugh out loud and it's a faint silvery lining what with the sudden onset of thick dark clouds in the late morning.

Thursday, August 07, 2008 5:48:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home