Thursday, June 12, 2008

Psalm 131: Avoidance Play

The 131st Psalm is a tiny vignette of what it must mean to stay out of certain kinds of politics. This psalm says:

Lord, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.
Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child.
Let Israel hope in the LORD from henceforth and for ever.

It is all about being as a child in some things. As I've quoted from the Book many times before, "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life." Sometimes, getting involved in things that are of a low priority for you and of too high a priority for others is a dangerous thing. But what about storming the Senate or other such romantic adventures that democratic people think about?

Well, I've come to realise that a part of humility that takes nothing away from the practice of democracy is to refrain from action or involvement unless truly qualified. Participation is one thing; exercising oneself in great matters above one's legitimate reach is another. One can comment, lobby, or otherwise persuade; doing the work of a senator or judge unless one is of that quality of experience, skill or training is not a good idea otherwise.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home