Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Editorial Mind

I remember that when I was very young, my mother the lang/lit teacher and my father the historian used to show me their students' work. I was five years old when they started me on 'find the mistake' and 'correct the error' games. By the time I was eight, I had a full-blown case of grammar/punctuation/style/spelling/etymology Nazism. In retrospect, I was a terrible student to have in class.

The thing to note is that such an education tends to shape an attitude to one's peers and teachers that is rather problematic. People tend to shy away from lectures on how bad their language use is. Fortunately, as I grew older, I learnt to keep my instincts cloaked. I couldn't quite hide them completely, but I could act as if I wasn't twitching inside at every mistake I saw.

However, the editorial mind tends to self-edit a lot. It goes against my grain to write in a way that violates the rules and guidelines accumulated over more than three decades of hard-won linguistic skill attainment. You will find that there's plenty of stylistic consistency in my various blogs: Bookbinding (my book review site), Two Ravens (sadly, now complete and completed), Elemental (unfortunately, not frequently updated), and Dark-Adapted Eyes (a sequel to Two Ravens). I think that I am unable to write in any other way.

I still remember one incident from about two years ago. We had just submitted a large project for some award or other. My former English/Lit teacher took one look at it and said, "You wrote this, didn't you?" She noted that the style was distinctively mine, even though I pointed out that others had worked on it too. Eventually, I had to confess to the fact that 95% of it was my writing. The editorial mind had tripped me up again.

Looking at the corpus of my work in my previous job, I am pretty satisfied at what I have accomplished. To this day, brochures and publications, papers and other documents from the institution in which I used to work, all bear my marks. The style is distinctively and distinctly mine. Where it has been altered, amended and added to, the results are obvious. Although I do not assert a legal right (and have never asserted such) to be acknowledged as author, I am amused by the continued recycling of my original text.

It is something we do not encourage students to do, this 'cut-and-paste' thing. In fact, we would dock marks from a student caught presenting a paper (for example) with substantive unmodified 'cut-and-paste' sections, insufficiently cited and/or acknowledged. But, ah well, what can you do in this day and age? Is it too much to ask for some degree of originality, and (because true originality is very difficult to find) some effort towards using language in a loving, thoughtful and well-crafted way?

Perhaps it is indeed too much, in this age of men. I blame the hastiness of the world and the need to produce papers and other documents post-haste. Add to that the overwhelming use of word-processing software and its accompanying paradigm of reusing and recycling, and everything falls into place. The same place. My editorial mind sees these things, and is sad.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger le radical galoisien said...

I remember one time I had a rather fierce internet argument with someone over whether it was erroneous to start a sentence with a conjunction. When I pulled out the Language Log posts asserting it was not erroneous, I got blocked. :D I guess he didn't like Ivy League linguists.

"etymology Nazism"

Would that be correcting folk etymologies and such? That wouldn't be so bad to me actually -- it's stopping the perpetuation of misinformation and what are the linguistic versions of urban legends.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:17:00 pm  
Blogger The Hierophant said...

I read that argument, galoisien! Alchem: You're my grammar and proper usage of the English language role model. Surely you know that.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 2:22:00 am  
Blogger Trebuchet said...

Galoisien: Hmmm. Etymology Nazism does indeed refer to some sort of odd desire to rectify the fact that most people seem not to care where their words come from and therefore end up using them inappropriately. For example, 'incredible' vs 'terrific' as adjectives describing 'a helluva good time'. Considering the former comes from something like 'not to be believed' and that 'terrific' is to 'terror' as 'horrific' is to 'horror'...

Hierophant: Ach, one is made to feel glad and inspired to do better.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 1:06:00 pm  
Blogger le radical galoisien said...

Oh that kind of Nazism ... but that seems rather unkind to semantic drift, doesn't it? Imagine a word like "nice" for example!

c.1290, "foolish, stupid, senseless," from O.Fr. nice "silly, foolish," from L. nescius "ignorant," lit. "not-knowing," from ne- "not" (see un-) + stem of scire "to know." "The sense development has been extraordinary, even for an adj." [Weekley] -- from "timid" (pre-1300); to "fussy, fastidious" (c.1380); to "dainty, delicate" (c.1405); to "precise, careful" (1500s, preserved in such terms as a nice distinction and nice and early); to "agreeable, delightful" (1769); to "kind, thoughtful" (1830).

(and I love the Jane Austen quote etymonline cites for this ...)

But I do support lambasting folk etymologies. Man I wish people would stop perpetuating such Ship High In Transit.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 1:25:00 pm  
Blogger Trebuchet said...

Galoisien: ha, but you see, 'nice' is still 'silly'; the only thing that has shifted is that people perceive silliness as something pleasant to be cultivated for its harmlessness. Not a good thing to me.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 11:12:00 pm  
Blogger le radical galoisien said...

That's... awful nice of you to say that. :p

(I'm trying to be nice by not being silly, but now I do feel silly; perhaps it can be seen that semantic drift by association is not the same as equivocation, though.)

Semantic drift can be just as discriminating as sound change -- they don't care what used to be there before; if it is not in present usage then changes will take place without regard to that origin, just like phonemes X and Y can merge into Y and if some new change happens to Y, the sound change doesn't care that the phoneme Y in a word happened to originally be from the phoneme X.

"the only thing that has shifted is that people perceive silliness as something pleasant to be cultivated for its harmlessness."


The change was not done in one generation, so it can hardly be fair (or nice, for that matter) to say that's what the inducers of the semantic drift meant. Today, we hardly think of church belfries as siege towers, though that's what the nice people in the 15th century thought.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 11:38:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home