Saturday, October 27, 2007

Memetic Breadth

My friend the Projectilist recently commented that a top-class education results in three main things:
  1. Networking
  2. Public service
  3. Memetic breadth
It might be a simplistic view, superficially speaking, but on close inspection of many top high schools, these are indeed the three 'gifts of the Magi' which lesser schools do not provide.

The reasons are clear. Top schools are often the home of top-class alumni with networks of their own and a higher likelihood of their offspring entering the school and renewing or maintaining old ties. The professionals, politicians and administrators of a nation tend to be drawn from these same schools, so public service (and eventually, the ideas that drive the nation) will also be a marker as to the reputation of a school. Finally, in an environment where people are expected to be different and do things differently, memetic proliferation becomes the rule rather than the exception.

And true to form, I have been hit by one such meme, from the Dancer. I am supposed to describe five material desires (with some chance of actually being fulfilled) and then tag five people. So here goes...

1. I want a library. Six rooms with aged teak shelves, indirect lighting, and 24-hour climate control, at least 4 km of shelf space (and at least 15" deep) and enough floor space to have writing desks and workstations in each room. The walls are panelled with oak, engraved with cryptic little details from 'The Secret History'. Glass panes are made from bulletproof, UV-filtering material, faceted in the traditional English style.

2. Speaking of which, my existing notebook – the PowerBook G4 known as 'Nemo' – has now entered its fourth year of sterling service. I would love to have an upgrade, one of those eight thousand dollar machines, but with a one-piece titanium shell randomly electro-oxidised to a subtly iridescent gleam. Hopefully, this one will have key markings which don't succumb to the remorseless creeping acidity of my fingers.

3. I already have a complete Jack Vance – a lovely integrated edition. What I would like is a complete James Branch Cabell as well, also in an integrated edition. Most people don't know about Cabell; Michael Swanwick (see item 2) has something to say here.

4. I want a blue-light laser pointer. Unfortunately, such items are banned in Singapore. A fun runner-up in this slot would be a bunch of Acrobots instead... In fact, ThinkGeek.Com is one of the most amazing sites for making me think of stuff I would love to have.

5. I want a lifetime's supply of aromatic high-cacao dark chocolate. I'll settle for smaller quantities, though. Although I am certain that Godiva doesn't make the best ever chocolates, they do make very good assortments. Here is one place to begin with if you intend to indulge me.

And now to tag a few people:
  • AnonymousNoises
  • KenT
  • Wolfberry
  • Lavender's Blue
  • La Femme Blanche
There you are. You know who you are even if other people don't. Enjoy!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dilys said...

Oh good grief.

Monday, October 29, 2007 2:35:00 am  
Blogger Augustin said...

its scary to me,one who hasn't had any family connections (extended included) within the school, to realise just how interconnected everyone is.

my parents are just amazed and blown away by the group of friends i mixed with and their "connections". soon, they'll want me to start my own clan in ACS too, I'm sure.

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:37:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"la fille blanche" me convient plus..

Saturday, November 03, 2007 2:33:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home