Monday, October 01, 2007

1984 – Vintage Angst

The year was 1984 and I was a teenager. Those who know me now might find it odd, but it was a year for emotions running high. However, it was just a short while ago, in some ways. The music of that era is still playable, still memorable, and it recalls those distant years well.

One of the songs I will never forget from that annus horribilis was Meatloaf's Total Eclipse of the Heart, sung by Bonnie Tyler. It contains the memorable lines (among others):

Once upon a time I was falling in love
But now I'm only falling apart;
There's nothing I can do –
A total eclipse of the heart.
Once upon a time there was light in my life,
But now there's only love in the dark;
Nothing I can say -
A total eclipse of the heart.

Even while I was suffering through what seemed like titanic agony, I had to appreciate the wordplay. Thank God those years are past, I say; but I also thank God that I had those years at all.

=====

This song is dedicated to specific persons who might find it somewhat... applicable.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home