Tuesday, September 11, 2007

An Educational Sentence

Yes, I must say that the day just passed was educational.

I read two poems. The first was Billy Collins's brilliant black-on-white crowsight poem, Winter Syntax. The second was the very naughty exposé of education by Thomas Lux (it would be a wonderful irony if this were his pseudonym, really, but it isn't – I checked), To Help The Monkey Cross The River.

It was amazing to see people toil over the poems, striving hard to say something about them, and thus fulfilling both. Like a traveller in winter, the words eventually came to their (sometimes) illuminating end. Sometimes, it was more like a suspended sentence. And always, one got the sense that if you fired a few bullets (metaphorically) behind them, the arduous crossing of the river would be accomplished apace.

I don't think anyone wants comments now, except maybe Ken. D'ye ken it, then? Heh. Maybe not.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger P0litik said...

Yes! It's about education. I actually thought my interpretation would be wrong.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:03:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home