Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Ancient Dreams

Dark City, dark strength. I move silently, killer, lover, all my dancing self a tribute to her darkness. My strength is sure, my justice as even as the weighings of a man’s heart can ever be. I watch the half-unsleeping tenements; I am Night’s hunter, and evil things dream much less easily for it.

A child must be about five years old when it first begins to develop empathy, that capacity of one individual to run a simulation of another within the brain and hence feel something of what the other feels. But what if a child begins to feel for an imaginary character?

I was eleven years old when I wrote the words that open this entry. For ten more years, they were the only words I ever wrote about Batman. I didn't feel the urge to add to them. I was, to tell the truth, somewhat in awe of those words. I had begun to realise that, perhaps, my talent with words was a little out of the usual.

I was fifteen when I wrote, "Sunlight drips through the windows and puddles on the floor." I remember my English teacher said, "You can't write that. Some day when you are established and respected, you will be able to break the rules and create your own imagery and metaphors; but for now, sunlight doesn't drip, and it doesn't puddle on the floor." But how else would you describe the melancholy depression which a boy might feel on a beautiful sunlit day when his grandmother dies?

2 Comments:

Blogger BenSohBS said...

Wow. You could write like that when you were 11? You should have become a professional writer or something to that effect. Hmm. Teachers sure were more restrictive in that day and age weren't they? Or perhaps our own teachers are much more relaxed when it comes to that. Perhaps the constriction of teachers of that day and age might have resulted in a relative inspirational desert when it comes to writing, at least for quite a bit of us...

And as for downward moderation, I suppose it does to some effect counter elitism, or insufferability. But is elitism really that bad? It could be argued that elitism within the context of meritocracy could be useful for allowing specially gifted individuals to develop at thier own rate... Wasn't the GEP originally (when it only took in the top 0.1%) founded in some way on the basis of elitism?

Tuesday, October 26, 2004 7:03:00 pm  
Blogger Geoff said...

I can, pardon the pun, empathize.

I've been working on a novel for the last five years of my life, but between work and schooling, there is little room for anything other than a couple sentences before bed every night.

If I got 5 cents for every time an academic teacher or business person told me that my writing has "no place" in their institution, I would never need to make a living. It seems the point of English class is to maintain the status quo, to analyze that which has already been analyzed. Nothing new, nothing fresh.

I'm glad I am out of there, for such an atmosphere leaves scars.

Wednesday, October 27, 2004 3:51:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home